A Background to the importance of my Tips
I saw somewhere recently that the average length of time that massage therapists last is 8 years. This is due to the endurance that we as massage therapists put on our body.
If you ever get someone to rub an ache in your back, (usually a close family member) after about 2 minutes they start to complain about how hard it is and the effort it is on their part.
Obviously we don't get that tired and a lot of that is due to the fact that we have a proper table, (right height etc) and we have trained to use correct posture and protect both our energy and our bodies.
This all taken into account and the fact that I am trained as a holistic therapist (massage and reflexology) for 18 years and I have my own therapy practice for 14 years, I have learnt a lot.
The biggest most beneficial thing I have learnt about (often the hard way) is the importance of SELF CARE. As I mentioned already, protecting your spiritual energy, your physical body and not forgetting your own mental health. So I can continue doing what I love and still have the energy for everything else that goes on in normal family life.
I am going to explain what I do to help myself and how I have stayed going for so long and how I plan to continue into the future, while being full of health and vitality.
7 Top Tips for Self Care:
- Listen to your body, you must be self aware for true self care. That means trusting and always being ready to listen to your gut instinct.
- Stay active, and keep moving, include a brisk walk into your day (even in your lunch break). Balance your activity with some resistance work and always stretch.
- Stay Hydrated, be accountable and aware of the water you are drinking throughout the day, so you are not drinking too much or too little (1.5 litres approx. per day)
- Take Time out with your friends. make time for your friends, you can work your walk or jog into this. (that's being smart with your time and energy!) If your friends are at different stages as you with raising children, join a group or a class and you will meet new friends.
- Put the phone down, Make a conscious effort to put the phone or technology down and work regular breaks into your day and evening.
- Be Aware of what you are doing, eg if you meet a friend for a coffee, put your phone down. Be completely present for that length of time. Or if you are going for a walk be aware of your surroundings, be present and thankful. Give yourself a chance to think and then give your body a chance to respond!
- Treat yourself, to a massage, or reflexology, or any treatment. This is so important, do not wait for someone else to buy you the voucher or tell you to go, prevention is always better that a cure.
I use these tips all of the time and I am the strongest (mentally, and physically) and happiest I have ever been. Because of self care, now I can be a good mother, wife, friend, and business owner/holisitic therapist. It is not selfish, it is putting your life jacket on first so you can be there then for others. As the instructions on a flight say - "Please attend to your own mask first" and that is not a request!
Please let me know if you would like to treat yourself to one of my treatments on offer and I will do my best to help guide you to get your life back on track and increase your self care! Thanks Angela x